We had a really great experience at Château de Ternay. In our opinion, one of the most authentic chateau lives you can experience in the Loire.
The Count and Countess Loic and Caroline d'Aviau de Ternay are keen to share with you the history and spirit of the place . The icing on the cake is that we took full advantage of the exceptional 45 hectare park !
Read about this beautiful moment in this article!
This review is completely independent, we stayed anonymously and paid our bill in full.
Why stay at Château de Ternay
The word that comes to mind after staying at the Château de Ternay is authentic. Owned by the same family since the beginning of the 19th century, the castle has not undergone any notable transformation since 1880! A large part of the castle is classified as a historical monument.
The interior decoration, the furniture, the volume of the rooms, the welcome by the owners, the breakfast in the dining room, everything reminds you that you are sleeping in a castle built in the middle of the 15th century!
In addition to the experience of living in a castle, the rooms offer all the comforts necessary for a rejuvenating night.
You can (and should) take the time to walk through the 45 hectare park . A guide concocted by the owners will allow you to walk through the alleys thinking about thosewho made the history of the castle and the region.
After your breakfast, it is possible that you can enjoy a small guided tour of the castle by the owners who really want to welcome you with as much kindness and simplicity as possible and to share with you the history of the place.
Is the Château de Ternay worth it? Our review
Of the different castles in which we slept in the Loire Valley, this one really stands out for theexperience it offers. We regretted not having had more time to bask in the gardens, talk with the owners, write in the office facing the park... to live fully the life ofguests of the squires in short! This is what the Count and Countess Loic and Caroline d'Aviau de Ternay propose to us!
Book at Château de Ternay
As the castle has only 5 rooms, it is advisable to book as soon as possible to be sure to live this beautiful experience.
Decoration and atmosphere
Period furniture, woodwork, toile de Jouy, bed canopy, everything reminds you that you are in a family castle. The size of the rooms, both in terms of surface and ceiling height, will disconcert you.
We were charmed by the room dedicated to children with its alcove in which the 2 single beds are placed. Blue and pink are the order of the day and all that is missing is the voice of the tutor to immerse you in the atmosphere of the children of the French nobility!
The construction of the castle began in 1439 and lasted no less than 13 years. It is Bertrand de Beauveau, statesman and French diplomat, who built this castle for his second wife (he married 4 times successively!), Françoise de Brezé.
Some elements of the architecture refer directly to the Middle Ages (round tower with machicolation, pentagonal keep) while others reflect the entry into the Renaissance (vaulted arches are the vertical walls are entirely carved).
In the middle of the religious war, the castle became the property of theCatholic d'Arsac family in 1606, in reparation for the assassination of Jacques d'Arsac by François de Beauveau! Without an heir, the castle was given in 1813 to Charles Marie d'Aviau de Piolant, a member of an illustrious family of French nobility, based in the neighboring Poitou.
The new lord will make the last important transformations with the construction of the stables from 1861 to 1867, the filling of the ditches and the modification of 3 of the wings of the castle.
The castle has remained the property of the Aviau family ever since. Its current owners, Caroline and Loïc d'Aviau de Ternay, have lived there since 1996.
The architectural and historical interest of the castle has allowed it to benefit in 2021 from the support of the heritage mission entrusted to Stéphane Bern.
DON'T PICK UP THE MOST BEAUTIFULCastlesof the Loire Valley
- the most beautiful castles of the Loire Valley - discover
- the most beautiful gardens (to come)
- the castles of the Loire Valley where to sleep (5 unforgettable hotels) -discover
- the best Loire Valley castles to do with your family (coming soon)
- or our list with more than 100 castles of the Loire Valley - discover
To prolong the atmosphere of your night at the castle, you will have your breakfast in the dining room of the castle. World upside down, you will use a bell to signal the owners of the castle of your arrival!
In the middle of the family photos, you will taste a breakfast which makes the beautiful part with the products of the castle (walnuts, jams...).
Lunch trays or picnic baskets available on request.
The family suite, which can accommodate up to 2 adults and 2 children, seemed to us to be very attractively priced for the quality of the experience. See prices at your time.
Practical information about the Château de Ternay
Type of accommodation
Book at Château de Ternay
Where is the Château de Ternay
- Driving time from Nantes: 1h50
- Driving time from Tours: 1h05
- Driving time from Angers: 1h10
- Driving time from Blois: 1h40
- Driving time from Orleans: 2h20
How to get there
The access is necessarily by car as the place is isolated. The road is easy and pleasant, the countryside being particularly beautiful at the border of Anjou and Poitou!
OUR ADVICE FOR RENTING A CAR IN Normandy
- Compare prices on our preferred platform: DiscoverCars - one of the best rated sites.
- Choose a fairly compact car (many villages have narrowed the road).
- Think aboutfull insurance (parking in big cities is really tight).
- There is a lot of demand, book it early.
You can park slightly below the castle, in a parking lot reserved for visitorsso as not to alter the beautiful view of the castle.
Is the Château du Ternay family friendly?
The family room can accommodate parents and 2 children, without any risk of stepping on each other's toes. The children will be charmed by the place and they will immediately feel at ease with the owners.
Without taking any risks, we can predict that they will quickly get acquainted with the (other) affectionate "monsters" of the domain!
Subjugated by the place, remember to check that your dear children have not forgotten anything under their bed... (any resemblance with existing facts could not be fortuitous...)
Things to do in the area
Even if the castle of Ternay and its park can be sufficient by themselves, a small selection of things to do, to see and to taste nearby:
Monuments close to the Château de Ternay
- Castle of Montreuil-Bellay and its village : 20 minutes from the Castle of Ternay, don't miss the castle of Montreuil Bellay. Having acquired the reputation of an " impregnable fortress " thanks to its impressive defensive structure, it offers an insight into the opulent life of the lords of yesteryear. The village crossed by the river has a remarkable historical heritage. Discover our visit advices and pictures of the Montreuil-Bellay castle and the village (to come).
- the city of Saumur : In a little more than 30 minutes, you are in Saumur. Don't miss the castle and its majestic views over the Loire, its wine cellars that bring out the bubbles of Saumur brut or its prestigious equestrian school, the "Cadre Noir". Discover our list of things to do in Saumur (coming soon).
Museums close to the Château de Ternay
- The Saumur Armored Museum: a reference in France and even in Europe, which includes more than 880 vehicles (tanks, troop transports...) presented in 15 exhibition rooms. This museum has its place in a city with a military tradition which still trains the officers of the French army's armored units.
a little more patience
All the photos, maps, information, good addresses to make your stay in the Loire Valley a success, will soon be gathered in a single ebook!
If you wish to be informed of the publication of our guide on the Loire, register:
Where to eat near the Château de Ternay
- Le Pot de Lapin in Saumur: This is an authentic " bouchon saumurois" which borrows the codes of the famous "bouchons lyonnais": the menu is on the slate, the dishes are generous and the wine list is full of friends, and, above all, you eat really (really) well. Discover the place and the map.
- Le Gourmandisier in Montreuil-Bellay: enjoy an authentic "family" cuisine with a breathtaking view of the magnificent Château de Montreuil-Bellay. It's simple, but full of flavor and ultra-fresh! Don't miss themedieval aperitif: hypocras (wine, honey and spices)! Discover the news of the restaurant
Other accommodations nearby
- Hôtel Saint-Pierre in Saumur : If the Château de Ternay is full or if you want to vary the pleasures, complete your experience in Saumur with a night at the Saint Pierre. In the heart of downtown Saumur, in a quiet alley, this charming 4-star hotel seems to be hiding, but deserves to be discovered. Discover our experience in pictures (coming soon) - Succumb to the charm of the Saint Pierre
- Hotel-spa le Relais du Bellay: located in the old fortified town of Montreuil-Bellay, this hotel occupies an old post house from the 17th century. In the middle of a park, in the peace, this establishment also proposes a spa, a swimming pool and a billiard! Stopover at the Relais du Bellay